Important Tips When Aging in Place
If you are caring for an elderly parent who is aging in place, here are some tips for their safety and well-being:
- Inspect their living area to ensure there are no trip hazards. A fall can have a big impact on the future of their health. Some ideas are: remove small throw rugs, ensure plenty of lighting, check medications for side effects that may throw off balance, low threshold entries and exits, clear walkways throughout the home, and ease of getting into and out of bed.
- The senior who is living alone is a potential target for fraud and scams. Talk with your parents frequently about detecting fraudulent callers and emails. Review their checkbook to ensure checks are not being made out to strange names or businesses.
- Ensure that the home is well-maintained - no electrical hazards, flood hazards, or other maintenance issues that need addressing
- Make a point to notice how your parents are doing periodically - are they keeping up with cleaning, grocery shopping, refilling medications, staying in touch with friends, keeping their doctor appointments?
- Stay up-to-date with their finances. Know where their important documents are kept, when major bills are due, and what their typical monthly income is.