Looking for Christmas Gifts? Great Gifts from Under $25 to $100+
Giving feels great! The hard part is picking out that perfect item. Check out these curated lists for some ideas for your aging family and friends.
1. Caring.com's 2017 Holiday Gift Guide for Seniors
Caring.com has compiled a short but sweet list sorted by price range, so that there's something to fit every taste and budget! From scrumptious Nostalgic Mars Bars ($2.99) to luxurious over-ear EVEN headphones for the hard of hearing ($299). Check out the gift guide here!
2. 30 Gifts to Surprise and Delight Your Older Parents or Grandparents
Gifts for every older adult on your holiday shopping list! Blogger Laurie Pawlik Kienlen gathered a list of gifts that range from the practical (like an iRobot Roomba vaccum) to the thoughtful (like a memory journal or life history writing service). These gifts would be perfect for the aging loved ones in your life! Check out her list here!
3. New Tech: Amazon's Alexa
If you are a senior trying to live independently at home, you may find Alexa very useful. Alexa can do a lot of different things, all completely hands-free:
- Play music. "Alexa, play some music." "Play Bruce Springsteen."
- Set alarms, timers, and reminders. "Alexa, set a timer for 10 minutes." "Alexa, remind me to take my pills every day at 9am." "Alexa, what reminders do I have tomorrow?"
- Call friends and family.
- Buy things on Amazon. "Alexa, buy me paper towels."
- Check calendar events. "Alexa, what's on my calendar for tomorrow?"
- Check the news. "Alexa, what's in the news?"
- Check the weather. "Alexa, will it rain today?" "What's the forecast like for this weekend?"
- Look up answers to questions that can be easily answered by Wikipedia, Google Maps, or IMDb, such as restaurant hours, business phone numbers, and movie ratings.
- And much, much more.
For an in-depth review of Alexa and its benefits to seniors aging in place, check out this blog post from Toni Reinhardt at Comfort Keepers Herndon.