Is Swimming a Good Exercise for Seniors?
Here's a link to an interesting article on exercise, and answers the question: Is Swimming a Good Exercise for Seniors? http://blog.intheswim.com/health-aging-seniors-swimming/
The article mentions the following benefits of swimming:
- Swimming increases oxygen distribution to the entire body.
- Swimming helps reduce body fat, tone muscles and increase the lean muscle stamina and endurance.
- Swimming activates all large muscle groups of the body, while other exercises isolate fewer muscles.
- Swimming is easy on the joints, increases flexibility, tones and shapes muscles.
- Swimming reduces the risks of osteoporosis and heart disease and engages a healthy state of mind.
- Swimming lets you exercise without pressure on the joints.
- Can lead to Improved flexibility which can allow for better posture, less soreness and a low rate of injuries.
- Safer way to do Balance exercises.
- Swimming relieves stress and improves the mood.
- Social activity.